Sunday, December 20, 2009

7 Days of G7 (2 of 7): Shoreline



I took a bunch of shots out at Shoreline today with the G7.  The first image is the official shot of the day, but I'm going to give you a few more shots because I learned a few things.

First, I'm really liking the G7.  Yes, it doesn't have quite the per-pixel detail of my DSLRs, but does a good job.  The detail on this shots of random buildings at NASA is an example.  I can't really tell the difference at 100% crop between the G7 and my 20D.  Sometimes I had a bit of trouble controlling exposure, but I think I need to read the manual more.



Second, it does well at the extreme telephoto range.  I was actually able to get some decent shots of this snowy egret.  The combination of the 220mm equivalent lens with IS makes a very usable telephoto end, although the limitations of the camera are exposed a bit more.




Finally, it appears I have some dust on my sensor as visible in the image below (middle left edge and bottom, slightly left above the cloud).  The spots aren't that bad, and are more visible when stopped down at the telephoto end.  I have no idea how easy it will be to clean a G7 sensor, but it isn't something I'll send the camera in to Canon for -- I doubt they even repair G7s at this point.  So, at some point, I hope to open up the camera myself and clean it up.  There's also sizeable lint pieces inside the lens, so I could take care of them at the same time.


No comments: